Weiss Jewellery, founded by Albert Weiss, was not as big a company as some of the other jewellery retailers, but like them, Weiss Jewellery sold different lines for different pocket-books. They sold some very high end and beautiful jewellery and accessories, paying great attention to detail.
Albert Weiss, a native New Yorker, started his company in 1942, on Fifth Avenue in N.Y., after having worked for Coro and Marvella Jewellery. Mr. Weiss worked primarily in clear and coloured rhinestones and was very well known for his creations of butterflies, bugs and flowers.
The first mark used was "WEISS" in block letters, then "Weiss" in script. Also "Albert Weiss" and A W Co. This last mark was started sometime in 1951.
Albert Weiss was president of his company and retired in 1969. One of Albert's sons, Michael, continued the business for a short time but finally Weiss Jewellery closed it's doors in 1971.
Weiss jewelry, compared to other companies of the times, was in business for a relatively short period of time. This means there is less Weiss jewellery to collect and it is a little harder to find. Albert Weiss has left us some wonderful collectible treasures!